Social Security Q&A: Do I Have to Pay Taxes on My Benefits?

Social Security Q&A: Do I Have to Pay Taxes on My Benefits?

Question: Do I have to pay taxes on Social Security benefits? Also, where can I get a replacement 1099?

Answer: Some people who get Social Security must pay federal income taxes on their benefits. Still, no one pays taxes on more than 85 percent of their Social Security benefits.

You must pay taxes on some portion of your benefits if you file an individual federal tax return and your combined income exceeds $25,000.

If you file a joint return, you must pay taxes if you and your spouse have combined income of more than $32,000.

If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits. You can read more about tax preparation in relation to Social Security at

Social Security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor and disability benefits. They don’t include Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, which are not taxable. You can also get a replacement 1099 or 1042S when you open your own personal My Social Security account at

Q: I know I shouldn’t carry my Social Security card with me, and I always keep it in a safe place. Somehow, I lost it. How do I get a replacement card?

A: As long as you know your Social Security number, you probably don’t need a replacement. For most purposes, your number is your card. If you do need to get a replacement, you can do so for free. Although you can’t apply for a card online, you can learn what identification documents you’ll need, and you can fill out the replacement card application at

Q: I served in the military, and I’ll receive a military pension when I retire. Will that affect my Social Security benefits?

A: You can get both Social Security retirement benefits and military retirement at the same time.

Generally, Social Security won’t reduce your Social Security benefits because of your military benefits.

When you’re ready to apply for Social Security retirement benefits, go to . This is the fastest and easiest way to apply. For your convenience, you can always save your progress during your application and complete it later. And thank you for your military service!

This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213 or visit

Author: Tribune News Service

Share This Post On

Our Newspaper Family Includes:

Stay up to date on business happenings in the Upper Valley and beyond with the Enterprise newsletter. Delivered to your inbox once per week!

You have Successfully Subscribed!